sabbey

Warm Bodies
Isaac Marion
Banish
Nicola Marsh
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
Sarah J. Maas
Beautiful Disaster  - Jamie McGuire A copy of this book was provide by Simon & Schuster Inc via netgally. Thank you.

Full review can be found on Delirious About Books

I have had the hardest time trying to write this review. I didn't hate the book, but there were so many elements that annoyed me. This made it difficult to rate and review it. I've spent several days thinking about how I feel about this book and how I'm going to write it up.

Firstly I read this because I was curious. I had read so many mixed reviews that I just wanted to read this for myself and make my own judgement. So many people hated it and the relationship between Abby and Travis, and then others just loved it. I didn't hate the book but there were (and in hindsight from reading all my notes) so many things I didn't like about the story that I'm struggling to say why I did like reading this book.

There was a lot of unnecessary detours which got annoying as the main point of them was to either pull Travis and Abby apart or put them back together. There were also many unbelieveable elements in the plot too, including the basement fire that was started through the use of gas lanterns - do people really use them still? And the trip to Vegas was really unnecessary, I didn't see the point (other then to break Travis and Abby up again). The twists turned the plot into a mess.

I found the pace to be ok. I read a few reviews saying that it was uneven but I read it fairly quickly so I must not have noticed!

I'm not even going to go into the relationship between Travis and Abby. The only thing I do want to say is that I wish Abby had had a backbone. I was so sick of her not standing by what she said.

That leads to me to the characters. There was not one character I liked. That's right, not one. Travis's behaviour annoyed me and I wont tell you what I'd do to a guy that behaved like that towards me or in front of me.
Abby was gutless, shallow and frustrating.

I know plenty of people like this book, but I'm sorry, I'm not a fan. I didn't hate it, but I definitely don't love it.