sabbey

Warm Bodies
Isaac Marion
Banish
Nicola Marsh
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
Sarah J. Maas
The Hunt   - Andrew Fukuda Also featured on my blog

On the cover of my book it states "If you loved the Hunger Games, you'll love this". Um yeah - No. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

Humans are nearly extinct and the only ones remaining are those in the dome being studied at the Heper Institute. What's a heper? - A heper is what the humans are know as.
A decade ago the vampires held a heper hunt, and this is now the time for the next hunt.
Our protagonist, Gene, is a heper, and is selected to be one of the hunters in the hunt.

Yes, this is a different, interesting and creative story. Maybe it was a little too creative for me. There were a few things that I couldn't get use to, and just down right didn't like.

Let me elaborate:

There was a lack of world building. This made it difficult for me to picture the situations that Gene was in.

Gene is getting dehydrated. There is a pond in the Dome, he has seen it. yet he doesn't know where to get water from. Is is able to walk out in daylight, there is no reason he can't walk into the dome area during the day.

Gene states that hepers "can be so unpredictable like zoo animals" - He is a heper. He isn't like that. He learnt his behaviours, why on earth does he think they wouldn't? He was trained to act like the vampires. Also how is it even possible to stop emotions, flinches, sweating etc. They are a part of being human. I can't fathom how someone could train away those natural occurring bodily functions.

I couldn't get use to the whole scratching of the wrists and the elbow to armpit thing. I'd also like to know how. since vampires who are changed from humans, would have a completely different way of 'laughing'.

Vampires aren't friendly here. They only eat bloody meat and hepers are a delicacy since there are so few left. However, for some reason they can and do eat ice cream and cakes. :-/

Vampires can smell hepers from as far away as the dome, but they didn't suspect Gene who was right next to them.

Lastly, I felt nothing for the characters. They weren't well rounded and I didn't and wouldn't care if anything happened to them.

That being said, the last 70 odd pages picked up the action and I was interested in what was happening, more so then the 230 pages prior.

I think this book was too much of a stretch for me to enjoy it, though I'm sure there will be plenty of people that love it.